Sunday, June 21, 2009

Just to say...

I'm not Iranian BTW! (Maybe I shouldn't say that, as apparently millions of Twitterers believe that changing the settings on their Twitter account can confuse the Iranian regime. Despite my Twitter settings say I'm in Greenland by default, which I reckon is more cunning - get all Iranian Twitterers to say they're in grenland too, and the powers that be will never work it out, surely? So I could mislead them too just by pretending this blog's from Tehran. But it isn't. Probably if I was there, I'd have even less time to write anything - I'd like to think I'd be on the streets too.)
I have loads of respect for the way people there are standing up to oppression, as I think millions of people throughout the world do. As I do for people wherever they do that. (Read back through some of the older blogs here and I hope that's clear ;-)I've managed to find a few reliable sources over the last days (and years) and am pulling together what i can.
I'm putting this stuff together partly for anyone who wants to read it and partly as a sort of instant analysis and history from a distance of a moment, and of a moment for the net, not just for Iran. This is the first time I've seen the net really push and change international agendas and in some small way put the weight of people power firmly behind an act of resistance.
The people of Iran are performing an act of heroism for all of us. Let's make it a beginning, not an end in itself. Let's make it the beginning of something honest and decent, not just another tired old step of power hungry politicians, religious zealots and more acts of betrayal...

No comments:

Post a Comment