Saturday, September 09, 2006

Autumn


I like autmn. In many ways it's my favourite season. Harvest, and gathering weather. Lots of celebrations. It's the most Northern European of the seasons - when it can be wet, but not miserable - the colours can be golden and flaming, tress heavy with fruit. And the promise to com,e of the Winter celebrations, so that's nice too.
Still, most people don't get that this these days. Seems there's a homogenification going on that is slowly but surely destroying all sense of celebration and uniqueness.
A funny little example. I'm listening to Erasure now. They were a big band when I was 21, and they were very big in the gay scene. Many the night I was at a gay club dancing to Erasure and the ilk. But these days, who knows that scene? It wasn't cool, or it was too poppy, or it wasn't poppy enough. Whatever. But that's the scene that all modern dance music came out of - the clubs where Erasure was commercial but lots of weird Hi-NRG was around. And then the Chicago House came in. Mix it together, and we got House, Acid House, Techno. It hasn't really changed alot - listening to Erasure live now, it could be taken for dance music easy. If it wasn't for Andy's faggy vocals of course :-)
So well I remember the autmn of 1987, when there were two clubs in London playing House - the club above Heaven, and the (Henry) Africa Club on Kensington High Street. I wasn't a club scene expert, I wasn't in the incrowd. I was into soul music, and coming out as bi, so I thought this would be good music to hear, and got into the scene from there. What happened, well a bunch of poofs listening to soul music could never have guessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment