Friday, June 23, 2006

Almost ready


About to move. The day after tomorrow. I've been off work the last couple of days; was round the house again today painting and peeling off wallpaper. It's a great feeling, to be going to a real nice place in a nice area, with a garden and space and the works. The feeling of being out of the city (even if we're in reality in the city still), and of giving the kids something real good. Absolutely fantastic.
It does make me wonder about a few things. I didn't expect being a mortgage husband to actually make me happy :-) I'll think on that and write when I've thought it through.
And we've had a nice time in this appartment - which, as I write, (I'm surrounded by boxes and naked furniture) I'm about to leave. The good thing is, we came here with the plan to leave in two years to another bigger house of our own, and here we are - slightly under two years - fulfilling the plan.
The next stage is La Gomera. Es is going on studying, I'm moving up the greasy pole and learning, learning. And in the new house I think I can start writing again.
So who's to doubt our plans now?

Meanwhile - the World Cup continues.

England and Holland are on course for a quarter final meeting - which is a bugger, I hoped they'd meet in the final! No idea who I'll support - I probably won't know until my first cheer betrays me.
Saw Brazil-Japan this evening. Ronaldo equalled Muller's record for goals in World Cup finals. For a man who scored two goals, I think he moved less than I would in a typical 90 minutes at the office. Way fat and just dawdling around the D of the box. Yet still touches of the genius. And ten years ago, he was just awesome. An absolute flash of brilliance. I would have paid just to watch him play. And he seemed untouched and unfazed by all the adulation.

Then, the final of the 1998 World Cup, and hours before the final he had a fit. Whether epilepsy or nerves or what, is still undisclosed.
And he's never really been the same since. And what's happening now - I can't believe he's just being a fat bastard for the hell of it. He doesn't even look like he's able to train. The only reason I can imagine he's there, apart from being a genius, is for commercial reasons. Just like in the final of 1998.

No comments:

Post a Comment