Monday, November 03, 2008

help me obie 1...you're my only hope...


I can't deny that this is getting exciting now. Don't know if I've drunk the Kool Aid, and I still have the same opinion regarding representative democracy, but as a symbolic statement from a deeply conservative superpower, Obama's election is going to resonate hugely. No wonder that the most common comparisons are Roosevelt and Lincoln. In the time of crisis, a leader with intelligence and integrity, well that alone is unusual. But honestly, none of us thought that could ever happen again. The time for the Great Men theory of history was at an end.
Which I agree with. Obama will fuck up and disappoint, frequently and badly. But it will make a change knowing at least there's an intelligence there addressing the issue even if he gets it wrong. And most importantly, people might come to expect intelligence in leaders, and might come to understand that even a Great Man doesn't lead us the way we want and need to go.
Gonna be a long night tomorrow. And I'll write as I go - not for readers, but just that it's gonna be interesting to read in years to come what I thought then and what really happened.